Senior Care in Miami: What Every Caregiver Should Know About Bed Sores
As a caregiver, you have a big responsibility. You see to the daily needs of a senior citizen, whether they are your client or a close loved one. If your senior has experienced surgery, a major illness, or limited mobility that has them spending most of their day in bed, you should watch for bedsores to form. Senior care in Miami, FL can help! Here are important things you should know about bedsores and treating them.
Bedsores Are Serious
While bedsores may seem like annoyances (though painful ones), if left untreated, they can be dangerous. An estimated 60,000 people die from bedsores every year. While the number is staggering, these deaths are preventable with proper care and attention.
What Are Bedsores?
Bedsores, also known as pressure ulcers, occur when pressure on the skin cuts off blood flow. If this continues for too long, the skin begins to die, forming ulcers or bedsores. Bedsores typically progress through four stages:
- Discoloration of the skin (red or purple tint) with burning, itching, or similar pain.
- Sores such as scrapes, open wounds, or blisters with significantly higher pain and loss of color in the skin.
- The wound begins to form a crater as the damage has moved below the skin. Pain is extreme.
- Deep wound with a serious infection (including osteomyelitis or infection of the bone. Gangrene will develop without treatment. The patient is also at risk for organ failure, sepsis, or death.
Bedsores Don’t Just Form on Legs
We usually think of bedsores forming on the legs or back. However, they can form anywhere that the body is under enough pressure to reduce blood flow. That means that your patient does have to be in bed for sores to form. If your patient must sit for long hours and is unable to move or shift position, they’re at the same risk for bedsores as a patient in bed. Some of the most common locations for bedsores include,
- Shoulder blades
- Back of the head
The Best Treatment for Bedsores Is Prevention
As with many conditions, the best treatment is prevention. At Mazal Nursing Services we ensure our caregivers are well-trained and diligent in the care they provide. To help ensure your loved one or patient avoids or recovers from bedsores,
- Be diligent and check on your patient or loved one regularly
- Help seniors with limited mobility or recovering from surgery or illness to move regularly to relieve pressure on their skin
- If you notice wounds form, be sure to clean and dress them properly, including removing any dead tissue if a wound is advanced
Are You Looking for Attentive Senior Care in Miami?
Mazal Nursing Services offers expert caregivers and senior care in Miami who provide top-notch home care. Contact us to set up an appointment and discuss your loved one’s needs.