Tips for Managing and Preventing Falls in the Home: How Home Health Care in Miami, FL Can Help
We change over time. For older Americans, those changes can come with the loss of coordination or vision impairment that increases the risk of falls. Fortunately, you can take steps in the home to help prevent falls and make your home safer. At Mazal Nursing, we want your loved one to enjoy aging at home in comfort and safety. Let’s look at how Home Health Care in Miami, FL, can help prevent falls and the injuries that can follow.
While falls are common as we grow older, they don’t just happen. Each fall has a cause, whether direct (like an obstruction) or indirect, such as a health condition. As we age, our risk for falling increases often due to factors like,
- Loss of coordination or balance
- Obstacles in the home
- Vision impairment
- Medication side-effects
- Symptoms of chronic health conditions
Preventing Falls in the Home
Falls can have a number of causes, both in our control (such as obstacles) and out of our control (like health conditions). Fortunately, home health care in Miami can take steps to prevent falls no matter the cause. Some steps you can take include,
- Discussing concerns with your loved one. They probably have concerns about their own physical abilities. Listen to see what anxieties or worries they have to help you assess their risk of falls and find solutions.
- Make sure your loved one makes their doctor’s appointments and routine eye exams. Their doctor can help address any chronic health conditions that may affect coordination or mobility, as well as medication side effects that may increase fall risks. Meanwhile, regular eye exams ensure that your loved one receives updated glasses prescriptions if they need them.
- Install mobility aides around the home. Make sure that you have a secure handrail at the toilet and shower to assist in the bathroom. You should also have secure handrails at the stairs. Bathrooms should also have non-slip floor rugs and non-slip mats in the shower.
- Make sure the home has adequate lighting in all rooms. Dim lighting or inadequate lighting in a room can make it harder to see. Good lighting and ample lamps help. In addition, make sure that bathrooms and halls have a nightlight so that your seniors can see if they need to get up at night.
- Remove clutter and floor obstacles. Make sure that walkways and floors are clear of things that your loved one can trip on. Also, ensure that cords for lamps or devices don’t stretch across the floor.
- Adjust cabinets so that items are easy to reach. Bending or stretching to reach items can lead to trips and falls. Make sure that your kitchen, bathroom, and storage areas have items where your loved one can reach them without bending or stretching.
As you make adjustments to the home, it’s important to work with your loved one. Remember, aging at home ensures their independence. It’s important that they are able to be a part of making their home safe.
Are You Looking for Home Health Care in Miami?
Mazal Nursing Services offers expert caregivers in Miami who provide top-notch home care. Contact us to set up an appointment and discuss your loved one’s needs.