As a caregiver, you have a big responsibility. You see to the daily needs of a senior citizen, whether they are your client or a close loved one. If your senior has experienced surgery, a major illness, or limited mobility that has them spending most of their day in bed, you should watch for bedsores to form. Senior care in Miami, FL can help! Here are important things you should know about bedsores and treating them.
Bedsores Are Serious
While bedsores may seem like annoyances (though painful ones), if left untreated, they can be dangerous. An estimated 60,000 people die from bedsores every year. While the number is staggering, these deaths are preventable with proper care and attention.
What Are Bedsores?
Bedsores, also known as pressure ulcers, occur when pressure on the skin cuts off blood flow. If this continues for too long, the skin begins to die, forming ulcers or bedsores. Bedsores typically progress through four stages:
- Discoloration of the skin (red or purple tint) with burning, itching, or similar pain.
- Sores such as scrapes, open wounds, or blisters with significantly higher pain and loss of color in the skin.
- The wound begins to form a crater as the damage has moved below the skin. Pain is extreme.
- Deep wound with a serious infection (including osteomyelitis or infection of the bone. Gangrene will develop without treatment. The patient is also at risk for organ failure, sepsis, or death.
Bedsores Don’t Just Form on Legs
We usually think of bedsores forming on the legs or back. However, they can form anywhere that the body is under enough pressure to reduce blood flow. That means that your patient does have to be in bed for sores to form. If your patient must sit for long hours and is unable to move or shift position, they’re at the same risk for bedsores as a patient in bed. Some of the most common locations for bedsores include,
- Shoulder blades
- Back of the head
The Best Treatment for Bedsores Is Prevention
As with many conditions, the best treatment is prevention. At Mazal Nursing Services we ensure our caregivers are well-trained and diligent in the care they provide. To help ensure your loved one or patient avoids or recovers from bedsores,
- Be diligent and check on your patient or loved one regularly
- Help seniors with limited mobility or recovering from surgery or illness to move regularly to relieve pressure on their skin
- If you notice wounds form, be sure to clean and dress them properly, including removing any dead tissue if a wound is advanced
Are You Looking for Attentive Senior Care in Miami?
Mazal Nursing Services offers expert caregivers and senior care in Miami who provide top-notch home care. Contact us to set up an appointment and discuss your loved one’s needs.
Exercise is important at any age. That is why at Mazal, your home healthcare agency in Miami, we include exercise in many of our wellness recommendations. However, it’s important for older adults to carefully consider the type of activities they can take part in safely. As we get older, our ability to engage in exercises can become more limited. Let’s look at the health and safety considerations for seniors looking to improve their physical fitness.
The Benefits of Physical Exercise
We often encourage physical exercise as part of an integrated approach to health and wellness because of its benefits. For seniors, this includes,
- Delaying or preventing the onset of some disabilities and diseases including obesity, heart disease, and diabetes
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Increased sense of wellbeing
- Promoting better and more restful sleep
- Reducing pain from arthritis
- Reducing the risk of falls
Encouraging Physical Activity
While physical activity is important to your senior loved one’s health, they may be resistant to beginning a new exercise routine. Fortunately, your loved one doesn’t have to do yoga or take long walks to be healthy (though those can be beneficial). When you encourage your loved one to engage in physical activity, consider their interests as well as their current health. By focusing on their interests and current abilities, you can help them ease into a healthy and maintainable routine.
Types of Activities Most Beneficial to Seniors
The type of activity is important to promote good physical health and well-being. While your loved one’s needs and physical ability will vary, the most important and beneficial types of activities for seniors include,
- Endurance activities that increase heart rate and breathing (examples include walking, jogging, and dancing)
- Strength exercises that help build up muscle and reduce age-based muscle loss
- Stretching exercises that help keep the body flexible and improve mobility
- Balance exercises that help seniors maintain or regain their natural balance
Because your loved one has unique needs, it is important to talk to their healthcare provider before beginning exercise routines. Some pre-existing health conditions may limit the types of activities they can do. They may also limit how intense exercises should be or how long they should last.
Staying Safe while Exercising
Once your loved one is committed to beginning a new exercise regimen, it’s important to approach activities with safety in mind. As your loved one begins their new activities remember,
- Ease into new activities, including new exercises they add later
- Wear safety gear when needed such as helmets for bike riding or water shoes for swimming
- Wear sun protection when outdoors
- Stay hydrated and increase fluid intake during exercise unless otherwise directed by their physician
- Use steady breathing when exercising
- Remember general exercise safety guidelines like keeping their back straight and bending from the hip
- Use balance aids when needed to help prevent falls during exercise
Are You Looking for a Home Health Care Agency in Miami?
Mazal Nursing Services offers expert caregivers in Miami who provide top-notch home care and post-surgery recovery nurse care in Miami. Contact us to set up an appointment and discuss your loved one’s needs.
If you’re planning a major surgery for yourself or a loved one, it’s important to ensure you have proper post-surgery care. Being discharged from the hospital doesn’t mean you’re well or recovered. Often at-home recovery comes with limited mobility and a need to keep up with wound care and medications. A private recovery nurse in Miami can help ensure you receive the care you need. Let’s look at how to ensure you choose the right nurse for you or your loved one.
What Is Home Care?
Home care is a variety of services delivered by licensed professionals that ensures your daily living needs are met. These services cover a wide range of activities, based on your specific needs. These include,
- Skilled recovery nursing and home health aide
- Physical, occupational, and speech rehabilitation therapy
- Medical social work services
- Specialized care for chronic conditions
- Palliative and hospice care
- Joint rehabilitation following replacement surgery
- Fall prevention and balance training
- Advanced planning and resources
- Wound Care
- IV Management
How to Choose a Private Recovery Nurse in Miami
Choosing the right service for your family is vital to recovery. Before you make your first phone call, it’s important to take several factors into consideration.
- Make sure the agency you plan to contact is licensed by the state.
- Ensure they meet Medicare federal requirements for health and safety and ensure they’re certified with Medicare.
- Check with your health insurance to ensure their services are covered or if you’ll need to make other payment arrangements.
- Compare the service to other Miami recovery nurse services and look for reviews.
- Speak to your doctor to see if they have experience with the agency and ask for feedback about them.
The Benefits of a Post-Surgery Recovery Nurse
While many people try to care for themselves or their family members post-surgery, a private recovery nurse provides multiple benefits. A post-surgery recovery nurse ensures that you,
- Receive proper and prompt wound care after surgery, reducing the risk of infection
- Receive the correct medication dosing on time and have adequate monitoring for side effects or contraindications
- Have mobility assistance and personal care assistance as needed post-surgery
- Obtain the post-surgery therapy you need to ensure a fast and complete recovery
In addition to these benefits, a home recovery nurse takes the stress off Miami families. Surgery can be stressful both for the one who had surgery and the family members around them. Having a post-surgery recovery nurse helps to alleviate the stress and anxiety that follows surgery. With less stress and worry, family members can spend more quality time together, leading to better well-being and recovery.
Are You Looking for a Private Recovery Nurse in Miami?
You’ve had surgery, and now, you need to heal. Surgical operations can take a serious toll on your body. If you don’t take the time you need to heal, it can lead to complications later. It’s important to have quality post-surgery recovery Nurse. At Mazal Nursing Services, our expert team of caregivers can help you through the healing process so that you can make a full recovery. Let’s look at the benefits our recovery nurses provide to our Miami patients.
The Advantages of Having a Post-Surgery Recovery Nurse
Medication and Post-Operative Care Assistance
After surgery, patients are often left feeling weak. Medication for pain management can leave you drowsy and disoriented. An in-home recovery nurse can assist you with your medication and pain management, as well as wound care and other post-operative care, especially in the early days of recovery.
Customized Care – post-surgery recovery Nurse in Miami
At Mazal, our post-surgery nurses provide care customized to meet your needs. We work carefully with your doctor to follow their directions and follow up with them to report your recovery progress.
Care You Need When You Need It- post-surgery recovery Nurse in Miami
Mazal Nursing Services provides care on your schedule. Whether you need assistance a few hours a day or around the clock, we work with your schedule.
Mazal Nursing Services Tailors Care Around Your Needs
Our skilled nurses and caregivers provide you with the services you need, including,
- Wound care
- Physical, occupational, or speech therapy
- Personal care, including bathing, dressing, and light housekeeping
- Transportation assistance for appointments
Mazal Nursing Services Helps Miami Residents Heal at Home
Hospital stays can be expensive, especially if you must extend your stay for recovery. With a skilled nursing and care assistant from Mazal, you can heal at home affordably and comfortably. At home, healing is more than just affordable, however. It’s also good for your well-being and helps you transition from healing back to your daily life faster and easier.
Make a Home Care Nursing Plan
If you’re planning surgery, create a home nursing plan ahead of time. Your transition from hospital to home will be easier. You have time to interview your potential caregiver and get to know them before they come into your home. If you have complications from your surgery, you or your family member can more easily communicate changes with your caregiver as well.
Are You Looking for a Post-Surgery Recovery Nurse in Miami?
Mazal Nursing Services offers expert caregivers in Miami who provide top-notch home care. Contact us to set up an appointment and discuss your loved one’s needs.
As we grow older, our dietary needs change. Our health also begins to change drastically as our risks for osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s, and other health conditions increase. It’s important that seniors maintain a healthy diet to meet their changing nutritional needs. Let’s look at what your senior loved one can eat to help stay healthy and how one of Mazal Nursing Services’ caregivers can help your senior stay on a healthy diet.
Eating a Well-Balanced Meal
Eating healthy starts by balancing what we eat. For seniors, a healthy plate can be divided in half, with one half of the plate evenly split between proteins and grains and the other half split about 2/3 vegetables and 1/3 fruit. Once you know the proportions of foods, you can look at choices to ensure that your senior loved one gets the nutrients they need.
- Proteins – Lean meats, poultry, fatty fish such as salmon, and eggs are common and healthy choices for seniors. However, adding beans, peas, and lentils provide needed protein as well as added calcium, Vitamin D, B12, and fiber, all of which are important for a healthy senior diet.
- Grains – Whole grains provide fiber and important vitamins for senior diets. Brown rice, barley, whole wheat bread, quinoa, corn, and oatmeal are all good choices for the grain portion of a senior’s plate.
- Vegetables – Giving your seniors a variety of vegetables to choose from in meals is important to ensure they get the vitamins they need. Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and carrots are all healthy vegetables that can be served in a variety of ways. Leafy greens such as spinach and kale are good to add to a senior’s diet as well.
- Fruits – Fruits provide fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. Oranges are a good citrus fruit to include for Vitamin C while apples, pears, and bananas all offer additional fiber. A variety of berries – blue, black, strawberry, and raspberry – are good for their vitamin content and as antioxidants.
How a Miami Home Caregiver Can Help Seniors Manage Their Diets
Knowing what you need to eat and eating the right foods are two different things. Keeping up with healthy eating can be a struggle for anyone. For seniors, who may have to deal with chronic illness, limited mobility, and less energy, the idea of planning and preparing meals can feel daunting.
An in-home caregiver can help ensure your senior loved one starts and stays on a healthy diet. At Mazal, our knowledgeable caregivers help seniors,
- Plan meals ahead of time to ensure they get the nutrients they need in their diet
- Prepare meals and snacks throughout the day
- Make shopping trips and choose healthy vegetables and fruits
- Provide companionship during meal time so that your senior has social engagement during their meals
Are You Looking for Home Care Services in Miami?
Mazal Nursing Services offers expert caregivers in Miami who provide top-notch home care. Contact us to set up an appointment and discuss your loved one’s needs.
Do you have a loved one who is a senior or has special needs in Miami? Finding the right home care services to meet their needs is important. You have a lot of options, so how do you choose? Let’s look at what companion care and personal care have to offer.
Both companion care and personal care are non-medical services MAZAL Nursing Services offers to families in Miami. Some seniors may receive only these services or have them in addition to a private nurse who helps them with their medical needs.
Companion Care Services
Aging or living with a disability doesn’t have to be a lonely road. Companion caregivers assist with everyday tasks and provide emotional support for their patients. They are also invaluable support to the families of seniors and those with disabilities, as they take pressure off loved ones by providing much-needed daily support and allow families to spend quality time with their loved ones.
At MAZAL Nursing Services our companion care services include,
- Meal preparation
- Assistance with housekeeping and chores
- Assistance running errands
- Transportation to and from appointments and social activities
- Communicating to family members
We work with families to determine your specific needs and create a schedule for home care that can be daily, weekly, or multiple times a week.
Personal Care Services
Privacy and independence are important to us, but sometimes, we need a little extra help with personal care. Whether it is because of major surgery, aging, injury, or disability, MAZAL Nursing Services offers personal care services that can be temporary or long-term.
Sometimes a personal care provider may also offer some of the companionship services we discussed above. However, personal care itself focuses on,
- Assistance with bathing and showering
- Oral hygiene
- Assistance with lotion, haircare, etc
- Non-medical assistance such as maintaining catheter bags
- Changing continence pads and cleanup
- Toilet assistance
Because of the nature of personal care services, we take additional time to understand your specific needs and create a care schedule that will help you or your loved one live their best independent life.
Home Care in Miami
Do you or your loved one need home care services or a private nurse in Miami? We offer a wide range of services to help seniors and those with special needs live their best lives. Contact us to set up an appointment.