If you’re planning a major surgery for yourself or a loved one, it’s important to ensure you have proper post-surgery care. Being discharged from the hospital doesn’t mean you’re well or recovered. Often at-home recovery comes with limited mobility and a need to keep up with wound care and medications. A private recovery nurse in Miami can help ensure you receive the care you need. Let’s look at how to ensure you choose the right nurse for you or your loved one.
What Is Home Care?
Home care is a variety of services delivered by licensed professionals that ensures your daily living needs are met. These services cover a wide range of activities, based on your specific needs. These include,
- Skilled recovery nursing and home health aide
- Physical, occupational, and speech rehabilitation therapy
- Medical social work services
- Specialized care for chronic conditions
- Palliative and hospice care
- Joint rehabilitation following replacement surgery
- Fall prevention and balance training
- Advanced planning and resources
- Wound Care
- IV Management
How to Choose a Private Recovery Nurse in Miami
Choosing the right service for your family is vital to recovery. Before you make your first phone call, it’s important to take several factors into consideration.
- Make sure the agency you plan to contact is licensed by the state.
- Ensure they meet Medicare federal requirements for health and safety and ensure they’re certified with Medicare.
- Check with your health insurance to ensure their services are covered or if you’ll need to make other payment arrangements.
- Compare the service to other Miami recovery nurse services and look for reviews.
- Speak to your doctor to see if they have experience with the agency and ask for feedback about them.
The Benefits of a Post-Surgery Recovery Nurse
While many people try to care for themselves or their family members post-surgery, a private recovery nurse provides multiple benefits. A post-surgery recovery nurse ensures that you,
- Receive proper and prompt wound care after surgery, reducing the risk of infection
- Receive the correct medication dosing on time and have adequate monitoring for side effects or contraindications
- Have mobility assistance and personal care assistance as needed post-surgery
- Obtain the post-surgery therapy you need to ensure a fast and complete recovery
In addition to these benefits, a home recovery nurse takes the stress off Miami families. Surgery can be stressful both for the one who had surgery and the family members around them. Having a post-surgery recovery nurse helps to alleviate the stress and anxiety that follows surgery. With less stress and worry, family members can spend more quality time together, leading to better well-being and recovery.
Are You Looking for a Private Recovery Nurse in Miami?
As we grow older, our dietary needs change. Our health also begins to change drastically as our risks for osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s, and other health conditions increase. It’s important that seniors maintain a healthy diet to meet their changing nutritional needs. Let’s look at what your senior loved one can eat to help stay healthy and how one of Mazal Nursing Services’ caregivers can help your senior stay on a healthy diet.
Eating a Well-Balanced Meal
Eating healthy starts by balancing what we eat. For seniors, a healthy plate can be divided in half, with one half of the plate evenly split between proteins and grains and the other half split about 2/3 vegetables and 1/3 fruit. Once you know the proportions of foods, you can look at choices to ensure that your senior loved one gets the nutrients they need.
- Proteins – Lean meats, poultry, fatty fish such as salmon, and eggs are common and healthy choices for seniors. However, adding beans, peas, and lentils provide needed protein as well as added calcium, Vitamin D, B12, and fiber, all of which are important for a healthy senior diet.
- Grains – Whole grains provide fiber and important vitamins for senior diets. Brown rice, barley, whole wheat bread, quinoa, corn, and oatmeal are all good choices for the grain portion of a senior’s plate.
- Vegetables – Giving your seniors a variety of vegetables to choose from in meals is important to ensure they get the vitamins they need. Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and carrots are all healthy vegetables that can be served in a variety of ways. Leafy greens such as spinach and kale are good to add to a senior’s diet as well.
- Fruits – Fruits provide fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. Oranges are a good citrus fruit to include for Vitamin C while apples, pears, and bananas all offer additional fiber. A variety of berries – blue, black, strawberry, and raspberry – are good for their vitamin content and as antioxidants.
How a Miami Home Caregiver Can Help Seniors Manage Their Diets
Knowing what you need to eat and eating the right foods are two different things. Keeping up with healthy eating can be a struggle for anyone. For seniors, who may have to deal with chronic illness, limited mobility, and less energy, the idea of planning and preparing meals can feel daunting.
An in-home caregiver can help ensure your senior loved one starts and stays on a healthy diet. At Mazal, our knowledgeable caregivers help seniors,
- Plan meals ahead of time to ensure they get the nutrients they need in their diet
- Prepare meals and snacks throughout the day
- Make shopping trips and choose healthy vegetables and fruits
- Provide companionship during meal time so that your senior has social engagement during their meals
Are You Looking for Home Care Services in Miami?
Mazal Nursing Services offers expert caregivers in Miami who provide top-notch home care. Contact us to set up an appointment and discuss your loved one’s needs.
Do you have a loved one who is a senior or has special needs in Miami? Finding the right home care services to meet their needs is important. You have a lot of options, so how do you choose? Let’s look at what companion care and personal care have to offer.
Both companion care and personal care are non-medical services MAZAL Nursing Services offers to families in Miami. Some seniors may receive only these services or have them in addition to a private nurse who helps them with their medical needs.
Companion Care Services
Aging or living with a disability doesn’t have to be a lonely road. Companion caregivers assist with everyday tasks and provide emotional support for their patients. They are also invaluable support to the families of seniors and those with disabilities, as they take pressure off loved ones by providing much-needed daily support and allow families to spend quality time with their loved ones.
At MAZAL Nursing Services our companion care services include,
- Meal preparation
- Assistance with housekeeping and chores
- Assistance running errands
- Transportation to and from appointments and social activities
- Communicating to family members
We work with families to determine your specific needs and create a schedule for home care that can be daily, weekly, or multiple times a week.
Personal Care Services
Privacy and independence are important to us, but sometimes, we need a little extra help with personal care. Whether it is because of major surgery, aging, injury, or disability, MAZAL Nursing Services offers personal care services that can be temporary or long-term.
Sometimes a personal care provider may also offer some of the companionship services we discussed above. However, personal care itself focuses on,
- Assistance with bathing and showering
- Oral hygiene
- Assistance with lotion, haircare, etc
- Non-medical assistance such as maintaining catheter bags
- Changing continence pads and cleanup
- Toilet assistance
Because of the nature of personal care services, we take additional time to understand your specific needs and create a care schedule that will help you or your loved one live their best independent life.
Home Care in Miami
Do you or your loved one need home care services or a private nurse in Miami? We offer a wide range of services to help seniors and those with special needs live their best lives. Contact us to set up an appointment.